This week I did comping.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 16.19.21.png
Screenshot of Logic Pro X project showing the take folders of Kick in, Kick out and Snare T

Although I have had a lot of experience with take folders and comping before (I find it a very efficient way of recording), I never really used it to it’s full potential. Last week, I grouped my tracks and enabled Phased-Locked Audio which meant that when I comp-ed one track, it would do exactly the same to the other tracks in the group, minimising the possibility of phasing issues. I started with my drum group.

Screenshot showing the take folder of Kick in. Various bits from the three takes have been selected to form the final track for Kick in.

Once I was happy with all of the comps for the drums, I bounced them in place, muted and hid the original (I prefer hiding tracks that I am no longer using because it declutters my project without getting rid of them), and added the bounce to a new track.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 16.41.46.png
Screenshot showing the settings of the bounce in place for the Kick in track.
Screenshot showing the completed comp tracks for the Drums track stack.

I repeated this for all of the instruments.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.06.59.png
Screenshot showing the contents of the take folders for the bass.

I was the bassist for the project. As I was comping the bass, I realised that none of the takes were good. However, I took the best bits and made the best possible comp I could with the material at hand. This is why it looks very choppy. I’m hoping that, with some processing and flex, I can make the bass part sound more together and consistent.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s